Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Georgetown Cupcake

My apology for the lack of posts this past week. I have just begun my internship on the Hill and have not had much spare time to enjoy dining and writing. Now that I'm getting into the swing of things, you'll see more from me.


Today's food for thought:
When did cupcakes become the latest sweet tooth craving trend? For those of you who know me, I'm not one to turn down anything sweet, but I personally prefer to indulge in homemade ice cream or a big piece of New York cheesecake. Nonetheless, I had to give in to the cupcake craze and try Georgetown Cupcake


Georgetown Cupcake, also known as DC Cupcake from its TV show on TLC is located at:
3301 M Street NW (corner of 33rd & M)




While I really admire the originality of the cupcake flavors and the fact that this bakery was started by two sisters, I honestly don't understand all the hype. When my roommate and I went to try it out on a weekday at 3 p.m., the line was pushed out the door and stretched at least half way around the block.


Don't get me wrong, the cupcakes are good and I have nothing bad to say. You would just think people were waiting in line to meet President Obama (ew) with the level of eagerness displayed. 


Because there was a "30 minute wait" for the flavor I really wanted to try, I ended up choosing "vanilla birthday." A madagascar bourbon vanilla cupcake topped with a traditional sweet vanilla buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles. Not too shabby, but def. didn't knock my socks off. Perhaps one of the more creative flavors, such as the "chocolate coconut," the "salted caramel" or the "honey banana" would have made a lasting impression. 
Next time, if I go back, I'll go for something more risky--even if they don't have the flavor I initially want. 


To end on a positive note, the prices weren't nearly as high as I anticipated ($3 dollars a pop), the what seemed to be a never ending line didn't take too long and the staff was super friendly.


Overall rating: B
Overrated, but still a yummy sweet treat for a reasonable price.  


My pick: Thomas Sweet
If you're craving the best ice cream in DC, this is the spot.
It's conveniently right down the street from GT Cupcake: located @3214 P Street Northwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment