Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bayou

Sorry I've been slacking on the posts this week. I've been busy working so I've either made something easy at home or gone to Whole Foods to grab sushi. This week I'll step up my game and entertain whoever reads my blog--hopefully a few people!


Bayou: Coffee Bar Eatery
Location: 1515 N. Courthouse Rd.
Arlington, VA 
bayoubakeryva.com
Inside of Bayou
I've been to Bayou for my morning coffee and a blueberry muffin and thought it was a cute and yummy place to grab breakfast at. Until today when my roommate told me she had a delicious salad there a few weeks ago, I didn't know Bayou served lunch and dinner too!


After walking to Georgetown and back, my roommate and I were hungry and wanted something semi-healthy for dinner. The Bayou salad that she described sounded perfect for what we were craving. Not to mention, I also wanted to blog about a restaurant near my apartment in Arlington. 


Overall, the food at Bayou is New Orleans style cooking. For breakfast, take your pick of an egg sandwich on a buttermilk biscuit, beignets, oatmeal or yogurt with fresh fruit from the farmer's market, or one of their yummy muffins. I recommend blueberry. 


For lunch, there are a number of sandwiches available. I haven't tried any of them, but they all sound pretty good and are no more expensive than $8. 
Soup and salads are on the menu all day and "super hot plates" are only available for dinner. 


My roommate and I both chose the same salad: grilled chicken, apples, spiced pecans and local chevre (similar to goat cheese ) over mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette. I really enjoyed the freshness of the greens and the apples. The portion of grilled chicken was generous--some restaurants tend to not put enough protein on their salads and it really bothers me when I'm paying $10 or more for a salad.



Mixed greens with grilled chicken and a cup of gumbo

The other salads also sounded tasty. Especially the Bayou chopped with blue cheese, bacon, egg, avocado, oven-cured tomatoes and radish with a mustard vinaigrette. And if you don't like chicken, no worries--you can go for the spiced shrimp instead. 


I thought it would be boring to blog just about a salad, and I wanted to try something else too, so I got a side of the blackened turkey meatballs

Turkey meatballs 

One word: yum. 
Turkey meatballs with roasted tomato sauce and melted parmigiano cheese. Good Southern cookin' right there.


My roommate had a cup of the chicken & sausage gumbo with her salad and while I didn't try it, it smelled and looked full of flavor. She doesn't like spicy foods and enjoyed the gumbo because it wasn't overwhelming in the
slightest. So if you're not a spicy foods type of person, there are still plenty of options at this New Orleans style eatery that shouldn't be too overwhelming for your taste buds. 


Overall rating: B+
I would def. go back for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The prices were reasonable, the atmosphere was laid back and the food was ready in no time. There were a few people having appetizers and drinks while we were there. I'd even suggest that if you aren't starving. The selection of brews on tap isn't bad either. 


For my next post I'll be comparing Georgetown Cupcake and Crumbs Bake Shop. Can't say I'll hate comparing the two :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment