Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ris

Ris
Location: 2275 L Street, NW (Near Foggy Bottom)
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: (202) 730-2500


My roommate and I both had yesterday off so we decided to explore DC. After a visit to the National History Museum and a little bit of shopping, we were ready for a glass of wine and a relaxing dinner. 


We had the mindset that we'd stumble upon a great restaurant just walking around. We were wrong. It's not as easy as it sounds--even in the city! I definitely learned a valuable lesson. Get a recommendation beforehand and know exactly where you're going. We literally walked around for almost an hour then finally got on the metro and went to Dupont Circle. After walking around there for thirty minutes and still not finding something worthwhile (we're picky), we asked a friendly man for his advice. Bingo. He told us to follow him--he was going to meet some friends at Ris and he promised we would enjoy the wine and the food. He was right on point!


This is the first, and hopefully not the last, restaurant I'll rate an A.  
I would like to rate Ris an A+, but I have one small bone to pick. When my friend and I got there, the hostess wasn't very polite. She sat us at a table that wasn't particularly ideal. The sun was shining in our faces and the table was near the kitchen door. When we asked to be seated somewhere else, she said it wasn't possible. So we flagged down the manager and got our way. Sometimes I feel like young people don't get the same respect as older people dining out. 


On to the food... American contemporary is how I would describe the cuisine at Ris. The menu offered a number of unique dishes ranging from the Monday gourmet meatloaf special to pan roasted Alaska halibut. 


I was immediately impressed by the service (minus the hostess) and the atmosphere. We started our meal off right by ordering a bottle of Mohua sauvignon blanc. It's a white wine from New Zealand and hit the spot. We opted to split a mixed greens salad, which was plenty for two, while we looked over the menu.

It was hard to pick an entree because everything sounded so different, yet so appetizing. My roommate decided to go with the Monday
meatloaf special. This wasn't your typical 
meatloaf meal. This was high quality beef prepared perfectly and served with whipped mashed potatoes and spinach. 



Meatloaf

I went for the sesame crusted salmon with gingered beets, bok choi, over soba noodles and red curry coconut broth. Amazing. I'm assuming the halibut would have been just as tasty. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the entrees!


Without the bottle of wine, my bill would have been around $30. Pretty reasonable, in my opinion, for an A restaurant with phenomenal service. 
Salmon



I wished I had saved room for dessert because the pecan carrot cake, along with all of the other options, sounded sinful (in a good way). I just couldn't do it. But I will 100% go back to Ris to try something else and make room for dessert. 


Of all the restaurants I've been to, thus far, this is the best. I suggest reservations if you're going for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment