Sunday, June 5, 2011

Le Pain Quotidien

Le Pain Quotidien
"A Taste of France"
Location: 2900 Clarendon Blvd
*There are also locations in Georgetown, Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle and Alexandria 
www.lepainquotidien.com 


If I lived in France, I would be fat. Fact. I love bread way too much. Good thing I can't afford to eat every meal out or I would go to Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast and lunch almost everyday. It is the cutest French cafe' ever! The bread is fresh, the coffee is good and everything is organic. I highly recommend this place if you like French food or just want a relaxing atmosphere to dine in. 


I've been here only a few days and I'll admit I've already had breakfast here twice and lunch once. That's how much I enjoy this cafe'. It's a great place to stop in for just a snack or a cup of coffee. Each time I've dined here, the restaurant has been busy, but never too packed to get a table right away.


This morning I went to breakfast by myself--yea I'm one of those weird people who actually likes to eat alone sometimes. I read the paper and took my time eating a fresh avocado and tomato omelette.  The omelette came with a baguette, a piece of whole wheat bread and a small side of mesclun greens. 
Fresh avocado and tomato omelette  
At first I thought it was strange having a salad for breakfast, but it actually complimented the omelette well. Having a few greens made me feel like I was eating a pretty healthy meal (minus all the bread). Even sitting by myself, the waiter checked up on me and asked a number of times if I needed anything.


If you have any self-control and don't go over board on the bread or, what look to be, delectable pastries, then Le Pain Quotidien is a very healthy dining option. Like I said, everything is organic and made fresh. For lunch, I recommend tartines. Tartines are open faced sandwiches if that makes sense. Bread on the bottom but not on top. I had the chicken & smoked mozzarella tartine with arugula and basil pesto. It was served with a small fruit salad and greens. The fruit salad was noteworthy because it wasn't just your typical melon and a measly piece of pineapple; it came with delicious organic berries.  


The only bad thing I'll say about Le Pain is that the drinks are extremely over priced. An iced tea is $3 which doesn't seem worth it to me. Stick with water and you'll pay under $13 for lunch. Same goes for breakfast (and the coffee isn't any more pricy than Starbucks). 


Overall rating: A-
Definitely a great place for a lunch date with a few girlfriends!

No comments:

Post a Comment